The Bunsen Library
After the death of the Heidelberg professor Dr. Bunsen on 16.08.1899 acquired Carl Auer von Welsbach from his estate the extensive private library with numerous personal dedications.
The library contains all the works of Bunsen and Auer von Welsbach as well as Liebig's 'Annalen der Chemie', valuable first editions, manuscripts, photos etc.
Author of the lists: Dr. Gerfried Klinger
How did the library of Robert W. Bunsen come to Carinthia?
Thanks to his fortune, Carl Auer Freiherr von Welsbach had acquired his teacher's library in 1900 by purchasing it from the Leipzig bookstore Gustav Fock.
He obviously did not have the time and leisure to take the scientific works out of the boxes, put them on shelves or even read them. He took out only a few of his most interesting issues and copies.
These books were recently in the research library of the Treibacher Industrie AG or integrated into his own private library.
What immediately stood out when the boxes were opened was the large proportion of mostly unbound special prints in this library. This is obviously not the library of a bibliophile book collector, but the hand library of a scientist, a researcher and academic teacher.
Meanwhile, the Auer von Welsbach Museum has got the original handwritten "catalogue of the professor [sic] Dr. Rob. Wilh. Bunsen to Heidelberg "provided by Erich Auer-Welsbach for the production of a copy.
A library as an eloquent witness to a comprehensive change in the scientific worldview.
The following documents are only available in German.